Sunday, February 13, 2011

finding vs. making time

In my first post, I mentioned that time seems to fly.  Making meditation a regular act, then, poses a special challenge.  It's a kind of irony in action, that carving out time to slow down my daily pace and "do nothing" takes effort!

That's exactly what it has become:  a conscious effort.  I'm hoping it will become more of a second nature type of act, but I'm not there yet.  I have had to remind myself every day to spend five or ten minutes alone with my thoughts... once or twice, even to the point of getting up out of bed at the end of the night because I'd forgotten it for that day. 

But it's getting easier, and here's my little secret:  I figured out a "cheat" tactic that helps me.  I bought a pretty, purse-sized notebook, and have been jotting down little notes to self as I think of them during the day.  Then, at the end of the day, I've got a starting point for the evening's meditation.  

It's going well, so far.  It's been two weeks since my last journal entry, and while I wouldn't say that the meditation has become a habit yet, I'm definitely well on the way.  It's nice to see that my hoped-for result of living a kinder, gentler life is within reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment